Friday, 8/22/08

The second practice, and the last practice before school started, also went fine. Jake, Kory, Mark, and D.J. showed up with Jake reporting that Nick was too sore after Wednesday's practice to make it. Matt had learned from the post-practice conversation on Wednesday that the normal procedure was for the team to dress in the locker rooms after school, then jog over to Thompson Park where they would stretch some before starting their eventual workout and eventually running or walking the one mile back to school as a cool down.

So on Friday morning, they jogged over to Thompson Park as a team. Coach Adamson impressed them with his easy gait over to the park. He and Jake were the only two who were in shape enough to have any conversation on the way over and they set the pace a few steps ahead of D.J and maybe 20 yards ahead of the two senior friends Kory and Mark who were already laboring.

"So Jake, you ever play basketball?"

"Not really coach. I'm tall enough, I guess, but I just never got into it."

"You never played at all? Not even as a kid?"

"Played a few seasons when I was like 9 or 10. I didn't really like all the shouting. Pass it! Shoot it! Get the ball! It wasn't like I was heading to the NBA anyway. I think I made one basket my whole career."

"Is that why you like cross-country? 'Cause it's quieter?"

"Who said I like it?", Jake said with a laugh, before proceeding somewhat hesitantly, "Anyway, Coach Perlozzo yelled at us pretty good last year."

"I can imagine. Don't worry that's not my style. Players play better when they're relaxed and they can focus on what they need to do to succeed."

"Well, I've never really found running relaxing, but I'm willing to give that a shot." Jake said with a grin as they entered into the park.

Matt led them through their stretching before sending them off for an easy lap around the 2 mile park path. All four runners made it around the park, and eventually back to school, without incident. Matt left the practice with tired legs and a good feeling ... happy that at least he knew a handful of Clover Valley students before school started on Monday.

0 comments: